Located at Colfax Ave. and Tennyson St., Colfax Elementary School is a small school nestled in the West Colfax neighborhood of Denver. At Colfax Elementary, we believe that preparation for college begins with our youngest learners.
We offer every student a broad and rigorous academic program, including exposure to the arts, sciences and technology. We believe in learning and living by our five Core Values and support students with a strong school culture. Colfax Elementary is a diverse community that believes high expectations and high support will allow every learner to achieve at high levels.
Guiding Principles for Success at Colfax:
- Students learn more successfully within a culture where they feel supported and encouraged to develop positive character strengths. At the center of this culture are our five Core Values: community, curiosity, perseverance, positivity and responsibility. Students have the opportunity to show the Core Values throughout the day. Most school days begin with a morning meeting, where students come together to celebrate learning and the exciting work of being a Colfax student. We believe strongly that we must nurture character development so our students are successful in college and beyond.
- Frequent data assessments ensure students receive individualized instruction that meets their needs. Standards-based lessons are frequently implemented through a gradual release model, in which students are provided with more support when first learning a skill. That support is reduced as students become more independent. A strong focus on literacy means that students are actively reading and writing throughout the day, developing communication and critical thinking skills.
English Language Acquisition (ELA)
- Many students at Colfax are bilingual and our ELA program ensures that students become biliterate. Students in ELA-S classes receive native language instruction paired with supported English content instruction and English language development. English language learner students in ELA-E classes receive scaffolded instruction in English and daily support from our ESL Resource Teacher (for speakers of languages other than English or Spanish).
- Families and community members are an essential part of our school culture. Guided by the work of our parent leadership team, a variety of educational and fun activities take place throughout the year.
Arts, Athletics & Enrichment
- Students participate in visual arts, music and physical education weekly. A wide variety of clubs and other enrichment opportunities are available after regular school hours.