Located at Colfax Ave. and Tennyson St., Colfax Elementary School is a small school nestled in the West Colfax neighborhood of Denver. At Colfax Elementary, we believe that preparation for college begins with our youngest learners.
We offer every student a broad and rigorous academic program, including exposure to the arts, sciences and technology. We believe in learning and living by our five Core Values and support students with a strong school culture. Colfax Elementary is a diverse community that believes high expectations and high support will allow every learner to achieve at high levels.
“At Colfax, we set every student on the path to becoming contributing citizens in a diverse society.
We believe that providing an environment of high expectations and joy creates a strong foundation of academic and social-emotional success for all students. Staff, students and families are united by the following five core values: Responsibility, Curiosity, Community, Perseverance, Positivity. (Created by ILT, reviewed by ILT, SLT, staff, Parent Leadership Team, and finalized by CSC)
Guiding Principles for Success at Colfax:
- Students learn more successfully within a culture where they feel supported and encouraged to develop positive character strengths. At the center of this culture are our five Core Values: community, curiosity, perseverance, positivity and responsibility. Students have the opportunity to show the Core Values throughout the day. Most school days begin with a morning meeting, where students come together to celebrate learning and the exciting work of being a Colfax student. We believe strongly that we must nurture character development so our students are successful in college and beyond.
- Frequent data assessments ensure students receive individualized instruction that meets their needs. Standards-based lessons are frequently implemented through a gradual release model, in which students are provided with more support when first learning a skill. That support is reduced as students become more independent. A strong focus on literacy means that students are actively reading and writing throughout the day, developing communication and critical thinking skills.
English Language Acquisition (ELA)
- Many students at Colfax are bilingual and our ELA program ensures that students become biliterate. Students in ELA-S classes receive native language instruction paired with supported English content instruction and English language development. English language learner students in ELA-E classes receive scaffolded instruction in English and daily support from our ESL Resource Teacher (for speakers of languages other than English or Spanish).
- Families and community members are an essential part of our school culture. Guided by the work of our parent leadership team, a variety of educational and fun activities take place throughout the year.
Arts, Athletics & Enrichment
- Students participate in visual arts, music and physical education weekly. A wide variety of clubs and other enrichment opportunities are available after regular school hours.