Dear Colfax Families,
Winter weather is here! The change that comes with our seasons is beautiful and cold! Please ensure your child is dressed appropriately for this change with a winter coat, boots, hat, gloves and scarf. Please let us know if you need support purchasing any of these items. We are happy to help! Unless it is snowing, raining or below 30 degrees students will have recess outside.
On mornings when it is raining, snowing or 30 degrees or below please bring your child to the gym to line-up. Teachers will be there promptly at 8:05 to greet them. We will dismiss to start our school day at 8:10.
We want to remind families about school closure or delay procedures due to inclement weather. Continuing this year is the weather delay schedule. This is only for schools that start at 8:30 a.m. or later if a weather delay is necessary. For these schools, when a delay schedule is called, schools will start one hour later for all students. Colfax Elementary will not be affected by the delay schedule as our school day starts at 8:10am.
DPS is committed to informing families about school closures or delays as early as possible. The goal is to make the announcement by 5:00am via the following communications tools:
- Colfax App-You will receive notice via our school App. Please ensure it downloaded on your phone.
- Automated calls and emails – Families who provide phone numbers or email addresses to schools will receive a phone call and/or an email announcing any closure or delay due to inclement weather.
- Bus Bulletin, DPS’ new tool automatically informing parents of any school bus delays. Learn more or sign up here.
- News media – DPS immediately notifies news media for inclusion on their weather closing or delays lists.
- DPS homepage – Closures and delays are announced via a red “alert” banner across the top of the district homepage at www.dpsk12.org.
- DPS social media – Announcements to close or delay school will quickly be posted to Facebook @Denver Public Schools and Twitter @DPSNewsNow.
- District closure/delay hotline – A message announcing the closure or delay will be left on the school district’s closure hotline at 720-423-3200, as well on the DPS Transportation Services hotline at 720-423-4600.
The decision to keep schools open, to delay them or to close them during winter weather is made with one overriding factor in mind: the well-being of DPS students and their families. Schools are not only vital places of learning for students, but they also provide nutrition, health care, counseling and essential support services. Whenever possible, DPS strives to keep schools open. If schools are closed, all school-related activities that day – athletics, performances – are also canceled.
Let’s stay warm and safe during inclement weather!